Archives for March 2009
My friend had her baby two and a half weeks ago. Man, is he a cutie!!! For fun, I took some pics of her new little guy. He is so sweet!
WHOOHOO! Congrats, friend. Seeing this little guy makes me excited about what’s to come in my own familiy–in just a couple of months! Eek, Ack, & WHOHOO!
This past week, a couple of friends and I took a nice little ride to the mecca of accessories, IKEA, in West Chester, OH. While I doubt I would ever outfit my home in all IKEA furnishings, it is fun to peruse the store AND the accessories are super fun, cheap, and cheap. I was actually keepin’ an eagle eye out for a particular utensil that I purchased at Chicago’s IKEA several years ago. I have misplaced it and miss it terribly. Sigh and Sob. It was similar to this whisk, but plastic. I used it ALL. THE. TIME–until I lost it.
We got to almost the end when I heard a plant was calling my name. It actually begged me to buy it. And while it may be oxymoronic, it was DEFINITELY cute, ugly, and quirky. That’s probably why it was calling my name. I tend to gravitate towards the randomly quirky things of this world because they are simply that. The plant reminded me of something that tries to fit in among other beautiful botanical specimens, but gets the shaft because it’s frankly just ugly. But I liked it. I was told it looked like something out of a Dr. Suess book. Agreeing, I named my plant, “The Doctor Suess Plant.” I love it.
Sometimes with a blog, you wonder if there is anyone out there…then someone asks why you haven’t updated in a while (my ‘little’ brother!?!?!?) and you realize that maybe there are a few people in cyberworld who read it. Thanks, Griffin.
A few things I’ve been learning lately about life & myself…
- I recently bought several Pinata apples to try. Granted, they were good, but the sign promised a crisp and juicy apple with classic flavors and a pineapple twist. After tasting the apple and waiting 30 seconds for the ‘pineapple’ flavor to hit, I’ve become convinced that it’s yet another apple. An apple is an apple. Pineapple or tropical tastes within them simply don’t exist. It’s the same thing for companies that claim that a certain cheese has a ‘nutty’ flavor…it’s cheese, people!…Or a coffee, ‘citrus’ (All coffee tastes like dirt). Whoever comes up with flavor-infused foods needs their taste buds purified.
- Yesterday, I came to work. An hour into work, I got an instant message from my husband, who couldn’t find his phone. I love it when he loses things because it puts him on a level playing field with me! You see, he’s Mr. Organized With-it Man–meanwhile, he’s married to Mrs. Scatterbrained Goofball. So, for him to lose something thrills me because it makes me feel more normal. He couldn’t find his phone. I used my work phone to call his. My pocket rang. Ooops. I had taken his phone to work with me–so much for the level playing field. Well, then I figured he could just use my phone for the day. I called my phone so he could find it. My other pocket rang. So much for the level playing field…I was kicked off the team.
- One of my biggest pet peeves in life is the “How are you” question that follows a passing greeting. People don’t care. Yesterday, I ran into a high-up guy in my company. I greeted him with a “HELLO!” Then, instead of the typical “How are you?,” I opted for an enthusiastic, “Good Morning.” It was obviously not expected because before I hadn’t even finished the word “morning,” I received…”Fine, thanks!” Hmm…I guess there was no confusion that he was fine that morning…You don’t even have to ask these days.
- And another “way up there” pet peeve is a restaurant that punishes you for drinking water. You know the places that give you dixie size cups with your meal (i.e. Panera) or charge you a quarter for a cup of water (i.e. Skyline)? I hate it when you are punished for going the water route! While at a normal sit down meal, I drink enough water to satisfy 10 camels on a trek through the dessert. Why on earth would I want to drink anything else??? Restaurants, please don’t punish me for doing so…I’m patronizing your store!
- And a final lesson I’ve been learning: For any pregnant woman out there, when you go in for your first, one hour gestational diabetes test, I can tell you what NOT to do. It’s NOT a good idea to eat 4 girl scout cookies and a drinkable yogurt the morning before the test. You will fail. Been there done that.
Okay, enough randomness!